Monday, October 13, 2014

My Friend

I wanted to combine heat embossing and watercolor to make a card that had a custom background so I pulled out a few new Inspired By Stamping sets and created this:


I started by stamping the diamonds in Versamark ink and sprinkling white embossing powder over them to emboss. The Diamonds set is so much fun and very versatile so don't overlook a small set! After all my embossing was done I started watercoloring using my Tombow markers and a water brush. The embossed areas resist the watercolor so it really makes the white pop once you've got some color down.

A tip about paper. For this card I used a multi-media paper which has good weight but the tooth of it is much smoother than normal 140# watercolor paper and I find that the colors don't blend quite as well and the paper seems to resist the water a bit more as well. I am much happier with results on regular watercolor paper.

The sweet little butterflies are in the Diamonds set as well. For my sentiment I die cut the label from Fancy Labels 3 out of vellum and heat embossed in gold the sentiment from Teeny Tiny Greetings. I wanted to add a bit more but not totally cover up the pretty background, so a bit of twine, some fussy cut leaves from Autumn Blessings, a few handmade felt flowers, machine stitching and a few pearls finished it. I hope you like it! Thank you so much for visiting me!

Supplies:
Diamonds

1 comment:

Charlotte C said...

Lovely card. Don't you love watercoloring over embossing and seeing how the embossing resists? TFS.