Monday, April 25, 2016

Watercolor Fun!

Hello! Leah here with you today I have a tutorial for you on how you can incorporate watercolor into your projects using Ken Oliver's Color Burst powders. It's easy and fun and you'll get unique results every time. Let's get started!
IBS1
The supplies you'll need are a stamp set of choice, I'm using the brand new You Are set, a jar of clean water, a large flat paint brush and some Color Burst powder. I began by stamping the sentiment first onto watercolor paper. I like to do it first so that there is no issues with stamping. If you do it after you watercolor, your paper will have warped a bit and it will be harder to get a good impression. I like to use Versafine Onyx Black ink because it is waterproof.
IBS2
For my first card I am showing you how I made the sun burst card I did for the release last week. This is set has so many fabulous sentiments I just chose another one that would go with the sun theme. To create the sun and rays I first used my flat brush and clean water to paint in where I wanted the sun to be, in the upper left corner, and then pulled out rays across the whole card. This photo shows how wet it should be. You want to get quite a lot of water on your paper for the next step.
IBS3
The next step is to gently "puff" some of the Color Burst powder onto your wet spots that you just painted. You'll have to work a bit quickly at this point as the water does start to dry. Immediately after you've got your watercolor powder down, use your flat brush to blend and pull out the color. If you don't like how much color is in some spots don't be afraid to blot it off with a paper towel.
IBS4
Here is what it looks like right after puffing and blending. While it is still wet/damp you can go back into parts to define more, if you like. I defined the round part of the sun a bit more by adding just a bit more powder. Let it air dry before assembling your card, you'll get a lot less warping then.
IBS5
To finish my card I added some machine stitching and mounted it to my card base. You can use this technique with lots of different stamp set and if you don't feel comfortable painting your own image it still works beautifully with lined images as my next card shows using the lovely new Plumerias stamp set.
IBS6
I hope you enjoyed this technique! Thanks so much for joining me.
Inspired-by-Stamping-Supplies-Tools-01_thumb.png
Inspired by Stamping You Are Stamp Set
Inspired-by-Stamping-Plumerias-stamp-set
Signature

2 comments:

Carole J said...

Oh wow...these are lovely. I especially like the 'Paradise is wherever you make it' card..beautiful colours. Must get these stamps! x

Mynn xx said...

Leah, these are both gorgeous! I LOVE this fabulous technique! Sending HUGS! :) Mynn xx