Monday, December 14, 2015

Watercolor Splatter Poinsettia

Hello!  Today I'll show you a fun and quick way to add a bit of watercolor to your Christmas cards. With this time of year being so busy it's nice to find ways of still having fun while crafting but with less time involved. Watercolor is an amazingly versatile medium and you don't always have to use it in a precise way. Let's splatter!
Poinsetta3
I started by heat embossing my flower and sentiment from the Poinsettias set in gold glitter embossing powder. I then stamped the leaves with Memento Luxe ink which is waterproof once dry. Then I got a fairly large round brush, size 8, got it very wet, loaded up with some watercolor paint and tapped my brush to allow splatters all over my image panel.
Poinsetta4
If you find some of splattering is a bit much just dab it with a paper towel and you can easily remove the excess.
Poinsetta5
Here is my final panel after I added another color. For the flower I lightly brushed out some of the splatter spots so as to color in more of the petals, but wasn't particularly careful as that's the look you're going for! I highly recommend that you let your paper air dry and not heat set it with a heat gun. You will get far less buckling and warping of your paper if you let it dry on it's own. Once it was dry I added some liquid pearl to the center of the flower and assembled my card.
Poinsetta2
Here it is all done and dry. I added some machine stitching and used foam tape to adhere my image panel to give it more dimension but it's still nice and flat to mail.
Poinsetta
I hope I inspired you to get out those watercolors and add a splatter or two to some of your cards. Watercolor can be loose and free and fun! Thanks for joining me today.
Inspired-by-Stamping-Supplies-Tools-01_thumb.png
Inspired-by-Stamping-Poinsettias-Stamp-Set
Signature

No comments: