Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Watercolor Poinsettias


Here is my most recent watercolor painting. This is a poinsettia plant I have in my sunroom that has been blooming for 2 years in a row! I first started by sketching it with my new fountain pen. I have just discovered the world of fountain pens and oh my...I love them! I love how you don't need any pressure to write with them and they can be used for sketching too. For my watercolor works I am using the Platinum Carbon Desk Pen. It comes with special carbon ink that is water proof. I got the extra fine nib and it is incredibly fine which I love for detail sketching. 

I have been taking several classes on sketching with pen and ink with watercolor and have been learning a lot. For this piece I just jumped straight to pen with no preliminary pencil lines which is way out of my comfort zone but I was super happy with how it came out.

With the New Year almost here I want to keep a pen, ink and watercolor journal of the coming year. I am realizing I just need to do it and not worry about it being perfect or exact...it's a journey and I'm sure if I just jump in and do it regularly I will find my own style. Do you keep a visual journal of any kind? Would you like to? I'd love to partner with anyone else that wants to do this! Thanks for dropping by!

No comments: