Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Painting on Wood

Hello stamping friends! Today I have an Inspired By Stamping 3d floral project to share with you and some tips about using watercolors on wood. Here is my project.


I had a little gift bag shaped box that is made out of wood in my stash of things to alter and decided to try paining on it. I first chose my stamp sets which are Spring Bouquet and Hummingbirds. I stamped my images in Versfine Onyx Black ink as it won't bleed when it gets wet. I then chose to use Inktense Pencils to color with. These pencils aren't watercolors they are actually ink that can be moved around and painted with water initially but once dry they are permanent. I prefer these when working on fabric or wood. The way I like to paint with them is to get my brush wet and then take my wet brush directly to the tip of the pencil to pick up color. I feel I have more control this way.


What I noticed the most painting on the wood is that you have a grain to work with and going against it doesn't work well and you get a lot more bleed out with colors because the wood absorbs more water around it even if you didn't purposely get it wet. That is quite different than watercolor paper which has a much higher degree of control. I had the worst amount of bleeding around my hummingbird but I just went with it and added the blue background. I think to avoid as much bleeding you would need to frequently heat set to keep the wood drier. Over all I am happy with the finished piece and since the I used the Inktense pencils the color is permanent. I hope you enjoyed my project today!





No comments: