Thursday, February 28, 2013

Altered Strawberry Vase


Hi! I have a little project to share with you that's over on She's A Sassy Lady's blog as well. I have been preparing for my daughter's birthday in March and decided to do a strawberry garden theme for her party. I made this altered vase for one of the decorations by giving a major face lift to an empty salt container. Let me show you how I did it:)

 When I bought this salt I wasn't thinking of re-using the container, but when I emptied it into the container I keep my salt in, I thought it would be a great thing to alter as it's sturdy and not too big around to cover with pretty paper.
 My first step was to select my cardstock base and what stamps I wanted to use as I wanted to do some random stamping to create my patterned paper. Since the theme is strawberry garden I pulled out a great strawberry set I have from PTI. I also wanted the top to have a decorative border, so I used an edge punch from Martha Stewart to create that edge.
 I got to work filling in the entire paper with the largest of the strawberry images.

This is what it looked like all stamped with no color.
 The great thing about this stamp set it's a multi-step so if you want to add the color by stamping you can or you could color it with Copics or pencils too. I chose to use the stamps to fill in all the images and this is the patterned paper I ended up with.

To finish it I wrapped the paper around the container adhering it with Scor Tape and added some jute twine and a tissue paper flower I made to finish it off. The final touch was adding Stickles glitter to all the berries and flower centers...gives it just the right amount of sparkle for an upcoming 5 year old's birthday party. Thanks so much for visiting, I hope you enjoyed my project!

2 comments:

Created by Kathi said...

Wow Leah... Like??? LOVE!!! I am terrible at stamping all over a page... thanks for the tutorial... maybe I will try it again... love how you embellished each leaf and strawberry not just with color but glitter too! AMAZING! Thanks for inspiring me this morning! Kathi

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Leah, this is just as cute as can be and look how you recycled and transformed that salt container into a piece of art! LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing today on She's A Sassy Lady!